Berkeley CSUA MOTD:Entry 42144
Berkeley CSUA MOTD
 
WIKI | FAQ | Tech FAQ
http://csua.com/feed/
2021/10/25 [General] UID:1000 Activity:popular
10/25   

2006/3/8-9 [Reference/BayArea, Reference/History/WW2/Japan] UID:42144 Activity:high
3/8     Boom!
        http://www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
        \_ Man, ground-level really zuuls the range on those puppies.
           I actually feel much safer now re: the oakland docks nuke-in-a-crate
           scenario.  The fallout would still be a bitch, of course.
        \_ No wonder the US/Russia made so many nukes.  The 15psi radius
           doesn't destroy enough land.
           \_ The default is for a 100KT blast (similar to Hiroshima).  Try
              changing that to 5 megatons.  -tom
              \_ hiroshima was only 14kT.  Most strategic nukes are around
                 200kt, with the big 5MT+ ones for 'bunker busting'.  200kt
                 is really all most military targets justfiy anyway.
        \_ Great.  When I switch the city to SF, it's centered about two
           blocks from my house.  -sax
           \_ You won't suffer.
              \_ Ooh, there's an interesting one.  If you knew something bad
                 was going to happen, and you could choose between a 100%
                 chance of instant, painless, you'd never-know-when death
                 or a 90% chance of painful, horrible, lingering death (10%
                 chance of decent survival), which would you choose?
                 \_ You should read Dr. Bloodmoney.
                 \_ I would definitely choose the 10% survival. After all,
                    I could kill myself if it sucked too much. Besides, I
                    would get to be on all sorts of wacky narcotics. And,
                    just maybe, I would turn into a MUTANT! \m/ fuck yeah! \m/
                    \_ Maybe you would get x-ray vision and be able to fly.
                       \_ the FURIOUS's ability will increase x10
2021/10/25 [General] UID:1000 Activity:popular
10/25   

You may also be interested in these entries...
2013/5/5-18 [Reference/BayArea] UID:54671 Activity:nil
5/5     Are there dine-in theatres in the Bay Area? Like the AMC Dine-In but
        in the Bay Area?
        \- New Parkway in Oakland? Kabuki in SF?
        \_ Rialto (formerly parkway) in El Cerrito. Easily BART-able from
           Berkeley -- 2 blocks from El Cerrito Plaza BART..
	...
2010/7/8-20 [Reference/BayArea] UID:53876 Activity:nil
7/8     White cop who unnecessarily shot and killed black convicted-of-gun-
        possession felon who was digging in his pocket while face down was
        convicted of involuntary manslaughter.
        http://www.csua.org/u/r3g (news.yahoo.com)
        Expect riots.
        \_ I don't think there will be significant rioting.  When the news
	...
2009/11/23-12/2 [Transportation/Car/RoadHogs, Reference/RealEstate] UID:53540 Activity:moderate
 11/23  "Warming's impacts sped up, worsened since Kyoto"
        http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/sci_climate_09_post_kyoto
        \_ what do you propose we average Joes do about climate warning?
           Oh really? Yeah, exactly.
           \_ Make life choices which reduce your carbon impact.  Communicate
              with your representatives that you consider this an important
	...
2009/11/11-24 [Reference/Law/Court] UID:53519 Activity:nil
11/11   The DC sniper Muhammad was executed 7yrs after his crime.  Don't denth
        penalty convicts usually spend much longer time on death roll?  What
        put him in the express line?
        \_ Even the supreme court said they should have had 2 weeks to
           consider commuting his sentence to life.  anyway troll boy,
           perhaps the mountain of evidence against the guy, the confession
	...
2007/10/27-11/1 [Reference/History/WW2/Japan, Reference/History/WW2/Germany] UID:48460 Activity:very high
10/26   Except for Hiroshima/Nagasaki, is it actually possible to bomb
        people into submission? It seemed to failed with the Londoners,
        Germans, Vietnamese, Afghanistan, etc.
        \_ worked all right with the Germans.  bombing them from the air
           isnt the only thing that let to their defeat but it helped some.
           \_ Most historians don't really agree with you here. Maybe it
	...
2007/8/6-22 [Reference/History/WW2/Japan] UID:47544 Activity:nil
8/6     happy hiroshima day!
        \_ HERE COMES THE BOOM
        \_ they so deserve it.
	...
2006/9/20-22 [Reference/History/WW2/Japan, Politics/Foreign/MiddleEast/Iraq] UID:44468 Activity:high
9/20    The dumbest war:
        http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/09/20/turner.reut/index.html
        \_ Synopsis: Left wing nut billionaire Ted Turner thinks our
           righteous war on evil Saddam Hussein is as dumb as the Japanese
           bombing of Pearl Harbor and the German invasion of Russia.
           \_ The invisible hand thinks you're the nut.  --the invisible hand
	...
2006/8/2 [Reference/History/WW2/Japan] UID:43871 Activity:nil
08/05/1945      I predict Hiroshima will be toast tomorrow   -motd guru
	...
Cache (670 bytes)
www.meyerweb.com/eric/tools/gmap/hydesim.html
link to current detonation parameters HYDESim maps overpressure radii generated by a ground-level detonation; these radii are an indicator of structural damage to buildings. No other effects, such as thermal damage or fallout levels, are included in this tool. that is, no account is taken of terrain, urban density, ground type, weather conditions, and so on. "The Effects of Nuclear Weapons", 3rd Edition, by Samuel Glasstone and Philip J Dolan. Overpressure Key 15 psi Complete destruction of reinforced concrete structures, such as skyscrapers, will occur within this ring. Between 7 psi and 15 psi, there will be severe to total damage to these types of structures.