news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/4233266.stm
Printable version Bush pleads for 'spirit of 9/11' Military personnel search house-to-house in New Orleans Police and soldiers are searching house-to-house as floods recede President George W Bush has urged national unity following the Hurricane Katrina disaster and invoked the US response to the 9/11 attacks. "America will overcome this ordeal, and we will be stronger for it," he s aid in a national radio broadcast. He promised that the Gulf Coast would be rebuilt "more vibrant" than befo re. But his comments, which came the day before the fourth anniversary of the 11 September attacks, have prompted further criticism from the Democrat s 'Another disaster' In his weekly radio address, Mr Bush reminded the American public of the national unity after 9/11 attacks, four years ago on Sunday.
Listen to the address "Today, America is confronting another disaster that has caused destructi on and loss of life. This time the devastation resulted not from the mal ice of evil men, but from the fury of water and wind," he said. "Four years later, Americans remember the fears and uncertainty and confu sion of that terrible morning. "But above all, we remember the resolve of our nation to defend our freed om, rebuild a wounded city, and care for our neighbours in need." The Democrats responded with further criticism of the federal response to the hurricane. Senator Edward Kennedy said: "Four years after 9/11, as the administratio n's bungled response to Hurricane Katrina makes clear, we're obviously n ot adequately prepared to deal with another devastating attack."
Fema chief under a cloud The White House has removed US emergencies chief Michael Brown from his r ole managing the relief effort and recalled him to Washington. Democrat senators have called for Mr Brown to be sacked for his response to the hurricane. His role has been handed to Coastguard Vice-Admiral Thad W Allen, who has been overseeing relief and rescue efforts in New Orleans. Mr Brown has been criticised over the slow pace of the rescue effort, ami d allegations he does not have the experience to lead Fema. Recovering bodies New Orleans officials say the operation to save people stranded by the fl oods has now ended and efforts will instead turn to recovering bodies. Police and soldiers will take on the grisly task of retrieving corpses, m any of them tied to lampposts or left in houses marked with paint at the height of the floodwaters. Col Terry Ebbert, homeland security chief for New Orleans, said early res ults suggested the death toll might not be as high as feared. "Numbers so far are relatively minor as compared to the dire predictions of 10,000." Clean-up effort But the BBC's Daniela Relph says bodies can still be seen strewn in flood waters, along the roads and in houses. A body lies among debris in a New Orleans street (9 September 2005) A body lies in a New Orleans street more than a week after the storm Recovery of remains will take priority over the forced removal of those N ew Orleans residents who still refuse orders to leave, officials added. In the city itself, as the flood waters slowly recede, the streets are be ing swept, power lines repaired and supplies brought in. Although renewed pumping from New Orleans has reduced water levels consid erably, the army estimates it could take weeks to complete. Meanwhile, Mr Bush is to begin a third visit to the disaster zone on Sund ay, with stops in both Mississippi and Louisiana, a spokesman said. Vice President Dick Cheney is to visit evacuees in Texas, ahead of Presid ent Bush's third trip to the region. The BBC's Washington correspondent, Justin Webb, says questions over Mr B rown's eligibility for his post have intensified political pressure on t he White House. Political figures in both the Republican and Democratic parties have accu sed authorities of responding slowly.
|