|
4/5 |
2004/7/30 [Politics/Domestic/RepublicanMedia] UID:32589 Activity:very high |
7/30 Sandy Berger cleared. \_ Yeah. Any bets on what page this will make? I'm betting A13 at best. \_ But NewsMax says it isn't true! Who do you believe, NewsMax or the WSJ? http://www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/30/120251.shtml \_ NewsMax is the standard!!!11!!! Four more yeah! \_ I believe NewsMax. Berger was always given photocopies, and never had originals. The WSJ article merely confirms this widely available fact, and because of this, also goes on to say that Berger isn't guilty of obstructing the 9/11 commission, also a widely available fact. The NewsMax article correctly points out, though, that Berger did carry out photocopies, and it is also true that Berger took 50 pages of notes, which he was supposed to provide for screening but did not disclose. The Washington Post is on record as judging this conduct reprehensible. http://csua.org/u/8e3 -self descrbed traitorous liberal \_ Plenty of cons claimed he did it to destroy evidence which is now shown to be preposterous. \_ If you read the article carefully it says he was cleared by the 9/11 commission in terms of missing documents. The criminal investigation is ongoing. \_ Has it actually been established that he probably commited a criminal act, and didn't simply violate archives policy? \_ When the documents are classified, you may be in trouble. |
4/5 |
|
www.newsmax.com/archives/ic/2004/7/30/120251.shtml Friday, July 30, 2004 11:58 am EDT Archives Denies Report That Berger Is in the Clear A senior spokeswoman for the National Archives denied a report Friday morning that Archives officials have cleared former Kerry-Edwards campaign adviser Sandy Berger on charges that he withheld documents from the 9/11 Commission. "In spite of what the Wall Street Journal said, the National Archives really isn't commenting on this case because it's under investigation," Susan Cooper, chief spokeswoman for the Archives, told NewsMaxcom. The Journal reported in Friday editions: "Officials looking into the removal of classified documents from the National Archives by former Clinton National Security Advisor Samuel Berger say no original materials are missing and nothing Mr Berger reviewed was withheld from the commission investigating the Sept. The conclusion by Archives officials and others would seem to lay to rest the issue of whether any information was permanently destroyed or withheld from the commission." The Journal report was picked up by ABC Radio network news, which further misreported the story by saying that the Justice Department had cleared Sandy Berger of all charges. But Ms Cooper disputed the claim that she or any other Archives official had said any such thing. case," Cooper told NewsMax "I gather that there's somebody else in the food chain that has been talking about the case but it's not at the Archives." In keeping with her no-comment policy, the Archives chief spokeswoman declined to confirm an earlier Washington Post report that Berger had destroyed four of the six copies of the Millennium Plot After Action Review stored in Archives files. Cooper also declined to say whether draft copies of the document with original notes in the margins were among the papers Berger's lawyer Lanny Breuer said his client had "discarded." |
csua.org/u/8e3 -> www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A7523-2004Jul22.html Editorials Editorial The Berger Affair Friday, July 23, 2004; Page A28 IT'S STILL NOT clear why former national security adviser Samuel R "Sandy" Berger improperly removed secret documents from the National Archives last year. Mr Berger, who was reviewing Clinton administration papers in connection with their release to the Sept. But archives employees told The Post he took documents on more than one occasion, prompting them to code material they gave him during an October 2003 visit. When called about the disappearance of some of those papers, Mr Berger acknowledged that he also slipped out with some 50 pages of notes he had failed to clear with archives personnel, as required by law. Because the classified memos he took apparently covered weaknesses in the Clinton administration's defense against domestic terrorist attacks, some have speculated that the former NSC chief, until this week a principal foreign policy adviser to presumptive Democratic nominee John F Kerry, may have been trying to save himself or the previous Democratic administration from embarrassment -- although the Sept. Maybe he was simply contemptuous of the idea that he should have access to a report he commissioned only in an archives reading room and under the scrutiny of its personnel. Whether it was a mistake or not, Mr Berger's conduct, the subject of a criminal investigation by the FBI, was reprehensible, and he was right to resign as a Kerry adviser. Still, it's hard not to be repulsed by the reaction to the affair by President Bush's campaign spokesmen and Republicans in Congress. They have suggested, without foundation, that Mr Berger took the papers to benefit Mr Kerry, who says that he knew nothing of the matter; House Majority Leader Tom DeLay has spoken, with gross hyperbole, of a "national security crisis." Having squelched congressional examination of a genuine national security scandal -- the involvement of US military commanders in grave violations of the Geneva Conventions in Iraq -- House leaders, including Rep. As happened so often during the Clinton administration, they are treating a real but apparently limited case of misconduct as an opportunity to misuse congressional oversight powers to wage partisan warfare. It's worth noting that news of the months-old investigation of Mr Berger just happened to leak on the week before the Democratic convention, and two days before the release of the Sept. Officials at the Bush White House had been briefed on the Berger probe. |