Berkeley CSUA MOTD:2010:December:15 Wednesday
Berkeley CSUA MOTD
2010/12/15-2011/2/19 [Science/Electric, Politics/Foreign/Europe] UID:53983 Activity:nil
12/15   I'm planning on traveling to Europe and I was wondering if there's
        any reason I shouldn't be able to use a US power tap/strip (no surge
        suppression) with just a plug adaptor (i.e., no voltage conversion).
        This would be for use with electronics that accept 100V-240V. While
        the power strip is intended for use at 120V, it's just wires, right?
        (Also, this power strip has no power LED or similar.) If anything,
        my understanding is since US voltage is lower, the wires generally
        need to be heavier gauge, so Europe shouldn't be a problem.
        Am I missing something? If so, what do you guys do when traveling
        to countries that use ~230V power? Thanks.
        \_ if that power strip has any form of surge protector in it, that
           will blow the first time you plug it into 240V.  Other than that
           you'll have to deal with different outlet format.
Berkeley CSUA MOTD:2010:December:15 Wednesday